Queen Square, Wolverhampton.
If it wasn’t for the shop frontages and modern street furniture, you could almost be forgiven for thinking this scene dated back a hundred years or so. Before the precinct area was created, this would have been busy with traffic. Indeed, the road going across this view was wide, with a roundabout on the left, and the statue of the horse was in the central reservation of Queen Square, Wolverhampton.
To the left, across the end of this scene, was the old Queen’s Cinema and behind the camera is the NatWest Bank and Electric Theatre. The road was known as High Green until the arrival of the statue, which is of Prince Albert and dates back to 1866. Apparently it has moved several times over the years to suit changing traffic requirements. As it happens, its current resting place is more or less where it first started off!
For more info take a look at the article on the Wolverhampton history page.
- Taken: 27 May 2020
- Camera: Canon 5D MkIII
- Lens: Canon EF 16-35mm 1:4 L IS USM
- Focal Length 16mm
- 1/125 sec
- ISO 100