NatWest Bank, Wolverhampton.
It is easy to forget that there used to be a lot of local independent banks before mergers and take-overs. Originally the Bilston and District Banking Company, formed in 1836, by 1863 they had expanded into Queen Square, becoming the County of Stafford Bank 10 years later. In 1899 they were taken over by the National Provincial, who opened this magnificent building in 1914 which today trades as NatWest Bank.
The banks of National Provincial and Westminster started planning a merger in 1968, a move completed in 1970, resulting in closure of some duplicated branches in many towns, including Wolverhampton. The National Westminster, as the new group was called, attempted to merge with Legal & General in 1999. Poorly received in the industry, share prices plunged and rival hostile bids from both the Bank of Scotland and the Royal Bank of Scotland – the latter eventually becoming the victor. However, National Westminster retained both its identity and trading licence, becoming the more “trendy” NatWest.
- Taken: 5 May 2020
- Camera: Canon 5D MkIII
- Lens: Canon EF 16-35mm 1:4 L IS USM
- Focal Length 16mm
- 1/200 sec
- ISO 100