The Queen’s Building.
Built in 1849, this original entrance to Wolverhampton High Level Station was designed by Edwards Banks in a popular Italianate style. The two larger arches in the middle were originally for carriages to pass through, with pedestrians using the smaller arches either side. It was the ticket office, with administrative offices upstairs. It later became the Goods offices. It fell into disuse, but now restored. It has been known as The Queen’s Building from the outset.It’s remoteness to the actual station itself was not helped when Lichfield Street and the remodelling of Queens Street made it redundant in the 1880s. It became a storeroom, although by 1948 it had become the area Goods office before closing in 1961. The Council decided it was worth preserving in 1978, although it wasn’t until the late 1980s that it was restored when the adjacent bus station was built. It is Grade II listed. Note the rails for the as yet unused Metro extension and the bus crews demonstrating “Social Distancing” during their break.
Further info and photographs:
DJ Norton Photography website when still in use as the Goods office.
Geograph note the later single storey side extensions since demolished.
History website for a fuller history of The Queen’s Building.
- Taken: 28 Mar 2020
- Camera: Canon 5D MkIII
- Lens: Canon EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L II USM
- Focal Length 28mm
- 1/125 sec
- ISO 100