Lower Raymond Almshouses.
Very attractive almshouses built in 1796, the twelve Lower Raymond Almshouses replaced an earlier property in Argyle Road. These were established by Philip Jemmet, and later further endowed by Sir Jonathan and Lady Raymond.
Set at right-angles to Newtown Road, this terrace is not easily spotted. It is opposite Litten Chapel, photographed earlier. Called Lower Raymond Almshouses, this differentiates them from a later range in Derby Road.
There is a central entranceway, above which is the legend “1796”, and the painted name “Raymonds”. This can be quite easily seen from the adjacent Fair Close.
They have been modernised and updated over the years, including extensions at the rear. This can be seen from the Newtown Road frontage.
Today’s photograph has been given some HDR treatment. This enhances the “olde worlde” look.
For the photograph of the Almshouse in Northcroft Lane, click here.
- Taken: 26 June 2017
- Camera: Olympus OM-D E-M10 MkIIA
- Lens: Olympus 14-42 1:3.5-5.6
- Focal Length 14mm
- 1/80 Sec
- ISO 200