Litten Chapel, Newbury.
Dedicated to St Leonard, patron saint for childbirth and midwives, Litten Chapel, Newbury, was originally part of St Bartholomew’s Hospital. It is one of the oldest surviving buildings in the town. It is the small part of the building on the right of the photograph.
The hospital dates back to around the year 1200. This medieval building, with its flint walls, has been much altered over the years. The hospital gave rise to a boys’ school of the same name in early Tudor times. In 1849, the school was rebuilt and became Newbury Grammar School (St Bartholomew’s). A modern school with the same name still exists, but a little further to the south and west.
Litten Chapel itself was shortened in the 18th Century, with the east end being rebuilt in brick, as can be seen in the photograph. This was when the adjacent Newtown Road was widened. At this time, this would have been the main north-south road through Newbury.
The hospital and school are now long gone, but some of the buildings survive. Litten Chapel is now Grade II* listed. However, this has not prevented major works being done. Note the scaffolding and builders’ vans.
Both the chapel and the adjacent building “The Litten” are being converted into 7 residential flats.
- Taken: 18 May 2017
- Camera: Olympus OM-D E-M10 MkII
- Lens: Olympus 14-42 1:3.5-5.6
- Focal Length 14mm
- 1/160 Sec
- ISO 200