St George’s Church, Wolverhampton.
You may notice a remarkable similarity to St John’s posted a couple of days ago. In fact, they are only a stone’s throw away from each other and the tower of one can be seen from the other. Built between 1823 and 1830, it became redundant by the 1960s and became derelict before being transformed into a Sainsbury’s store. This has now been replaced by an even bigger store the other side of the city, and St George’s Church is once again redundant.
However, it is Grade II listed. It was bought by Wolverhampton Council in early 2016 to ensure that it was put back into use quickly, rather than a developer buying it and leaving it empty. Apparently Sainsbury’s are still committed to paying a vast annual rent until 2025! Yet today it still stands unused. It was built originally as a sister to St John’s to accommodate the growth of the city, but this side of town ended up more industrial than residential. Although designed for a congregation of over 2,000, St George’s Church never really reached its full potential.
- Taken: 16 Apr 2020
- Camera: Canon 5D MkIII
- Lens: Canon EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L II USM
- Focal Length 24mm
- 1/30 sec
- ISO 500