Inside Inverlochy Castle.
We walked in to Fort William today, past the base of the Ben Nevis mountains and the Distillery. On the way, we visited the ruins of Old Inverlochy Castle.
“Inver” is Celtic in origin, and means “mouth”. Therefore, it is no surprise that this castle is located by the mouth of the River Lochy, where it flows into Loch Linnhe.
Dating back to the 13th Century, Inverlochy Castle was once one of the most important castles in Scottish history. Two major battles were fought here. In 1654, shortly after the second, it was abandoned in favour of a nearby wooden fort. In 1690, this was rebuilt in stone under the instructions of William of Orange. The town that grew around it was named Maryburgh, after Queen Mary II. However, it subsequently took on the name “Fort William” that we know today.
Today, Inverlochy Castle is in ruins, but these are reasonably well preserved. Indeed, some restoration work is currently in progress.
This image was taken inside the castle looking away from the river. This would have been the main entrance, access by a bridge over the moat (now long since dry).
It has been given some HDR treatment to liven it up – once again being a grey day.
- Taken: 31 Jul 2017
- Camera: Olympus OM-D E-M10 MkIIA
- Lens: Olympus 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6
- Focal Length 14mm
- 1/250 Sec
- ISO 200