Opened in 1862 as the terminus of a line from Edinburgh, Dingwall Station is now the junction for the lines to Kyle of Lochalsh and Thurso/Wick in the far north.
The station was quite a grand affair. A new station building was constructed in 1886, after the operating companies had consolidated, becoming the “Highlands Railways”. This building still exists, only a small part is in railway use. The main booking hall is now a Christian bookshop, the waiting room a café. There is, however, still a small part-time booking office and waiting room.
At the northern end of Platform 1 is a pub “The Mallard” in another former station building. Although the station seems a shadow of its former self, it is still busy, with a recent increase in the number of services operated.
The station has obviously seen a recent facelift, and is in otherwise good condition. Gone are the signal boxes. Single line tokens are issued electronically. Drivers operate the points themselves at Dingwall station to select the Kyle of Lochalsh line or the Far North line.
- Taken: 28 Jul 2017
- Camera: Olympus OM-D E-M10 MkIIA
- Lens: Olympus 14-42 1:3.5-5.6
- Focal Length 14mm
- 1/60 Sec
- ISO 200