Red House Pub.
In the back streets in the southern part of Newbury known as “the City” is the Red House Pub. If it wasn’t for the cars, this could be a scene from the previous century.
There is little information on this pub. No website of its own. At the time of this photograph, although it was open, the doors were shut and the curtains closed. Not looking particularly welcoming!
There is, however, a favourable review on “Yelp”, although this goes back 9 years. The UK Pub History website shows this pub dates back to at least 1881.
It would appear to have been run by the young Turner family, William and Mary, both aged 27. They had two sons, aged 5 and 3. Interestingly, there are three lodgers recorded at this time – a labourer, charwoman and a blind gentleman, aged 72.
The building next door to the Red House Pub is also of interest. It is a former Methodist Chapel, built in 1850. In 1912, it was listed as the “City Mission Hall”, reflecting the name of the area it was in. It has now been converted into a community arts centre.
- Taken: 5 Jul 2017
- Camera: Olympus OM-D E-M10 MkIIA
- Lens: Olympus 14-42 1:3.5-5.6
- Focal Length 14mm
- 1/60 Sec
- ISO 1000