Newbury Picture Palace.
Just south of the Methodist Church (which can just be glimpsed to the right) is the former Newbury Picture Palace. This dates back to 1910.
It was beaten by the Newbury Cinema in Cheap Street, which opened a month before. Other, grander cinemas opened shortly afterwards. The Regal, in Bartholomew Street (now demolished and replaced by an Iceland), the Central (later Carlton) in Cheap Street, destroyed by fire in 1950, and the Forum in Park Way, opened in 1939, finally closing in November 1998 under the Robins banner.
Not a lot appears to be documented on this cinema. However, the projection room was above the window level at the front in the slightly overhanging upper floor.
- Taken: 19 Aug 2017
- Camera: Olympus OM-D E-M10 MkIIA
- Lens: Olympus 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6
- Focal Length 20mm
- 1/125 Sec
- ISO 1000