Royal Pump Rooms.
Leamington Spa is full of grand and classic buildings. Amongst the finest is this, the Royal Pump Rooms on the Parade. This was the most famous of all the baths in the town.The building has had something of a chequered career. Opened in 1814, three years after a spring was discovered on the site, it was also one of the last to open in the town. It was so successful that is was subsequently extended.
By the 1840s, demand for spas was lessening as people travelled further afield to places like Belgium, and it closed in 1860. Some local businessmen clubbed together and purchased the building the following year, spending a vast sum on it and adding a Turkish Bath and swimming pool.
Sadly, this venture proved unsuccessful, and the Royal Pumps Rooms were sold to the local Board of Health. In 1890 another swimming pool was added, and a further annex in 1910.
By 1989, it was facing an uncertain future again, as the swimming pools were moved to a more modern facility. However, in 1997, under the ownership of Warwick District Council, it was redeveloped as a cultural complex. After extensive refurbishment, it now houses a museum, the library, a café and public art gallery. The Grade II listed Royal Pump Rooms are still a very popular local venue.
- Taken: 8 Dec 2017
- Camera: Olympus OM-D E-M10 MkIIA
- Lens: Olympus 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6
- Focal Length 14mm
- 1/160 Sec
- ISO 200