Oldbury Branch Line Remains.
Sometimes, railway lines are ripped up as soon as they are closed. Others, seem to hang on for no apparent reason! As a passenger line, this branch, owned by the Dudley and Oldbury Junction Railway and opened in 1885 – a year after its main line from Langley Green to Dudley and Halesowen. Both were operated by the Great Western Railway under a working agreement. However, as a result of the First World War, the Oldbury Branch Line closed to passengers in 1916 and never reopened.
However, it remained opened for freight until the 1960s, when the building on the M5 Motorway just ahead of this shot severed the route. This part, however, remained open until the 1990s, serving the Albright & Wilson works (mentioned in the Lloyds Bank photograph). There was quite a network of sidings here. Just to the left was a rare three-way point which is still visible in the undergrowth. A bridge can just be made out in front of the red roofed building. This went over a canal branch which also served the works.
- Taken: 11 Feb 2020
- Camera: Canon 5D MkIII
- Lens: Canon EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L II USM
- Focal Length 28mm
- 1/30 Sec
- ISO 800