The canal in Birmingham, apart from a section on what is known as the “Old Main Line” is as high as it gets. It is therefore kept supplied by water from the Edgbaston Reservoir.The area is now known as a nature reserve and used for sailing. However, it was built in 1827 by Thomas Telford, to provide a water supply for his “New Main Line”.
The Telford canal was at its summit, so as boats passed through the locks, they would take water out of this pound. The reservoir was used to keep it topped up, a function it still performs today.
This shot of Edgbaston Reservoir has been taken from the southern edge looking north. There is a good view of the City Centre, including the new library building.
- Taken: 25 Dec 2017
- Camera: Olympus OM-D E-M10 MkIIA
- Lens: Olympus 40-150mm 1:4-5.6
- Focal Length 150mm
- 1/500 Sec
- ISO 200